Tuesday 4 September 2012

Films and TV

Hello!  Here are some reviews of some of the films and TV shows I've watched lately. 

First up, Shaun of the Dead.   I have mixed feelings about this film.   I really enjoyed this up to a certain point, and then it went downhill for me.   It's a fairly typical zombie movie, with a hilarious Simon Pegg and Nick Frost take on it.   It's silly, quirky and typically British.   But I stopped enjoying after Simon Pegg's character had to shoot his mum.   I know that it wouldn't have been a zombie movie without that moment, but I really hated it.   Apart from the comedy my favorite aspect with this film was the cast, which included so many of my favorites.   As well as Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, Bill Nighy, Dylan Moran and Penelope Wilton were in it as well, all of whom I love.   And it made me stupidly happy to see Lucy Davis in it as well.   I loved her as Mariah Lucas in Pride in Prejudice many years ago, and hadn't seen her in anything else since.   But that's probably just me.   But yes, loved it until everyone started dying.



  




Next, the Mighty Boosh.   I watched all three seasons.  Basically I would describe it as "What the hell is this and why can't I stop watching it??".   Quirky doesn't even begin to describe the oddness of this TV show.   It revolves around the lives of Vince Noir and Howard Moon and all the bizarre adventures they have.   The costumes are wacky, the sets are cheap and very homemade looking, the stories are completely bizarre and I'm not even sure what makes it funny.   But somehow it is!   Perhaps it's the comedic genius of Noel Fielding.   Or maybe the songs.   I don't know.   I like it, but I have idea why!  







And finally, Rough Science.   Being a massive nerd, in my opinion this is just about the best TV series ever made!   They take a handful of scientists, drop them somewhere in the middle of nowhere with minimal equipment and get them to use their scientific knowledge to make things and do things.   The experiements don't always work, but I found it truly amazing what people could accomplish and bodge together and invent in just three days, using bits and bobs they found lying around.  Science rules!   The first series saw the team on a mediterranean island doing things like working out where they were, making a compass and building a radio.   The second series was set on a Carribean island doing things like mapping the island, making suncream and insect repellent.   The third took place in New Zealand, with the emphasis being on gold mining.   Using various methods the team eventually collected enough gold to make a gold pendant.   The fourth was space themed and was filmed in Death Valley, California.  The fifth was ocean themed, filmed in Zanzibar and the sixth was filmed in the San Juan mountains of Colarado.   I really enjoyed all six series.   They did some really impressive stuff.   Science at its best!   A really well done series!







     
  

No comments:

Post a Comment